Big Ass Medal Races
- $110 - 5K Registration
- $210 - Half Marathon Registration
Feb. 17 2018
This page and any details are for all 3 Big Ass Medal Races. If you are looking for specific information for any of the 3 races, please visit the individual race pages on this website. Run 1 or run them all!
Run Sunset Beach 5/19/2018 — Run Holden Beach 9/15/2018 – Run Ocean Isle Beach 10/27/2018
*All dates are officially approved!
- Everything Race Day
- Course Maps
- Packet Pickup
- Planning Your Trip
- Get Involved
This will sign you up for all 4 races. Once you sign up here, just show up to each packet pickup and race.
If you have any trouble with registration, please click here for another secure page to get signed up.
Please visit the individual race pages for detailed information regarding each race day in the series. Common across all races:
- Show Up Early – We encourage you to show up about 60-90 minutes prior to your race start time. Some races have a bridge closing and they will all have congested traffic and parking – yes, even at 6am, believe it or not, when thousands of runners and spectators are going to the same event you are no matter what time, it’s congested.
- Start Time – All half marathons start at 7:00 a.m. sharp.
- Safety is our #1 priority. While we work with local authorities and DOT to shut down as many roads as possible, a portion of each course is open to vehicles so it’s important to be aware. We discourage headphones and no dogs are allowed per USATF sanctioning. Follow our directional signs, volunteers and law enforcement – they know the course and where you need to be running. Use every waterstop to stay hydrated on the course. And have fun, we’ll see you at the finish line!
- Post Race – Hang around a while. We’ll have the DJ playing your favorite tunes, post race food, beer and games – plus awards for top overall and age groups (every 5 years) for both the 5K and Half Marathon. Bring a chair if you’d like, signs to cheer on others and enjoy the after party with us!
- Important Reminders:
No ID = No Beer
Arrive early – you don’t want to miss your start
Bring your bib and pre-race hydration
These are obviously different for each course – be sure to check individual race pages for an accurate map.
Need directions to the Start/Finish Line – Click Here
Directions to parking? Use the directions above and as soon as you come over the bridge, we will have directional volunteers to help you with this.
There are many great amenities on and around the island. I would recommend contacting the local chamber of commerce.
There are no hotels on the island. If you’re coming with a small group, I’d highly recommend calling Alan Holden Vacations or Brunswickland Realty to see if they have any short term vacation homes available to rent.
I would recommend search Shallotte Hotels or Southport Hotels.
If you call the Holiday Inn Express in Southport (23 minute drive to start), they have a special runner rate. (910) 253-9100
Days Inn in Shallotte (16 minute drive to start) has great rates for runners as well. (910) 241-0031
*Please let them know you’re coming for the race to get the best rate!!
There is ample parking around the start/finish line under the bridge on Holden Beach – click here for directions. You will be able to park in grass areas or on the side of the road (just be sure you are parallel to the road and all 4 tires are off the road).
Military, Students & Teachers – Yes!
Are you a member of a race club or group – contact us for club discounts.
Use our contact form please – click here
Strollers & Handicap Accessible
Due to USATF sanctioning and insurance, jogging strollers are not allowed on course. We are a handicap accessible course, however, we do not have any special divisions in awards for this.
We really prefer for you to register online if at all possible – it’s quick and easy with the link at the top of the page.
Can I walk?
Yes! Our 1 Mile and 5K races have no time limit and our half marathon time limit is 3.5 hours (16 min miles) – plenty of time to walk most of the course if you’d like.
We have no age restrictions however we do ask for parent or guardian signatures on all minors under 18 years of age.
The half marathon will have 8 different water stops along the 13.1 mile course. All stops have water and an electrolyte drink (Either Gatorade or Gnarly Nutrition which is also a drink). There are 2 water stops along the 5K course.
We will have a truck monitoring the route with water and acting as a “SAG” wagon.
Volunteers from the Holden Beach Turtle Patrol are assisting on the course for directions, as well as at the finish line and all of the water stops.
Signage is marked on the ground, over 100 directional signs, and a biker will lead both courses.
You’re going to LOVE running a Coastal Race Productions event!
We have a No Refund policy and any changes to registrations must be made at least 30 days prior to race date.
Ok runners, time to get your butt in gear and conquer this course. It has a steep grade climb right at the beginning X2 but then you’re flat the rest of the run. Take it easy getting loose and don’t hurt yourself on the bridge. Stride it out as you get back onto the island with the flat run and be sure to use all of the waterstops. Be as encouraging to other runners as you pass them coming back. And we’ll be at the finish line congratulating you with others.
Looking for a training plan, a group run at the coast or someone to help tailor a coaching program for you and be your accountability partner in your journey? Jump on over to RunCRP to learn more!
Volunteers are loved by all! We would be thrilled to have you join our race day team. Waterstops, cheer stations, handing out our HUGE medals, amoung many other things. We rely on some key non-profits that we partner with locally but we could always use some extra support. If you’re interested in volunteering with us, please use our contact form by clicking here.