Run Sunset Beach is coming up May 20th, 2017 and this is a full break-down of the routes our runners will be taking for the different events along with some spectator tips.
To see a large online map of the routes, CLICK HERE
General road race words to the wise:
- Open courses like this mean you’ll need to stay to the side of the road whenever possible. Large cities with 4 lane roads have the ability to shut down a lane but Sunset Beach doesn’t (except for the bridge in which 1 lane will be used for runners only). This is VERY important!
- Always stay on the shoulder of the road when possible. You should never be on a golf cart path or on the beach – you should be on the road at all times!
- Stopping for water? Cool, just pull on over to the side if you’re walking.
- If you’re stopping to walk at anytime, please just use race courtesy and pull over to the side first. Imagine someone running right behind you and all of a sudden you stop — eek, that’s an accident waiting to happen!
- We have a biker leading both courses and many volunteers on course to help you throughout the route. Please follow their direction, they know the course.
Run Sunset Beach Half Marathon Route Info:
- 7:00 am start time on 5/20/17
- Your color is RED! That means red arrow signs, spray paint arrows on the ground, taped arrows on the ground, red route on the map – everything half marathon related is in red.
- You’ll be going against traffic the entire way.
You’ll be starting in the beautiful waterfront park on mainland side of Sunset Beach. As you exit the park, you’ll be heading directly into the oncoming lane (temporarily closed for runners). Immediately taking a left over the bridge onto the island, you’ll take your first left on the island onto N. Shore Blvd.(keep to your left). You’ll have your 1st water stop as you turn onto 6th Street and you’ll take another left onto Canal St. headed to the East end of the island. At the end, you do a bit of a U-turn as the road turns into Main St. which gives you beach views for just over 1 mile. You have your 2nd water stop about mile 2.5 and a restroom break just after mile 3 and a cheering squad about mile 3.5 as you make the right turn onto 40th street. Stay to the left because you’ll approach a short turn around here and then take another left onto W. North Shore. Your 3rd water stop at mile 4 and you’ll take a left on Sunset Blvd. heading back over the bride to the mainland. Be sure to snap a picture and use #RunSunsetBeach.
Once you get back on the mainland, you’ll take a left at the round about traffic circle and have your 4th water stop on your left, mile 6.2, this is also Sunset Blvd. Stay to your left running against traffic, as you take a left onto Queen Anne Street. You will take a right in front of the traffic circle onto High Market St. and stay to your left for your 5th water stop about mile 7.7. Here you will be passing the parking area where you took the shuttle – give some high fives to spectators hopefully! As you approach the next traffic circle, stay to your left as you head out to Seaside Rd. SW (also referred to as Hwy 904). Please use extreme caution running against traffic and stay to your left on this road and even running in a single file line if needed. The 6th water stop is here about mile 8.7 and you’ll take a left onto Old Georgetown Rd. We’ve got restrooms and an ICEE POP station about mile 9.7 right where you’ll want it! Take a left onto Clubhouse Rd. as you enter into Sea Trail community. There is another restroom used for the golf course here immediately on your left that you may use. The 7th water stop is here on your left as well about mile 10.7. Continue on Clubhouse Rd. then entire way through Sea Trail community. No crazy turns or golf cart paths, this is a certified road race and you’re continuing to run against traffic the entire way. Your 8th and final water stop is at mile 12.2 and when you come out of Sea Trail, you will again turn left onto Shoreline Dr. W. to the finish line back in the park the same way you exited.
SPECTATORS: After you catch the start, you’ll have plenty of time but go ahead and stroll over to the base of the bridge. You will want to be on the far corner as they’ll be taking a left as they come back over the bridge about mile 6.1. If you hurry, you may be able to safely cross the street over to the shuttle pickup/drop-off and take it back to the parking area where runners are passing about mile 7.7. Depending on shuttle timing and how fast your runner is, you might be able to catch them here. Then, grab that shuttle back to the finish line to catch your runner as they cross that finish line.
Run Sunset Beach 5K Route Info:
- 7:10 am start time 5/20/17
- Your color is BLUE! That means blue arrows, blue paint on the ground, blue tape on the ground, blue route on the map – everything 5K related is in blue.
You’ll be starting in the beautiful waterfront park on mainland side of Sunset Beach. As soon as the Half Marathoners take off, go ahead and start getting in the corral to get started right at 7:10. Look for volunteers holding up pace signs to get you by other runners about your speed. As you exit the park onto the road, you’ll be heading directly into the oncoming lane (temporarily closed for runners). Immediately taking a left over the bridge onto the island, you’ll take your first left on the island onto N. Shore Blvd.(keep to your left). You’ll have your water stop as you turn onto 6th Street. Here you will have your turn-around so it’s extremely important to keep to your left as you go around the turn-around cone and not run into other runners. As you make that turn and keep to your left, you’ll take a left back onto N. Shore Blvd. and right back onto Sunset Blvd – but you will cross the road to again be in oncoming traffic. The officers are managing traffic here and will be shutting down the opposite lane for you to now run in going back over the bridge safely. As you approach the traffic circle back on the mainland side, stay to your left as you go around the traffic circle and back down Sunset Blvd. into the park through the same way you exited.
SPECTATORS: Either sit tight in the park and wait for your runner to come back to the finish or you could see them as they head over and back at the base of the bridge.
Run Sunset Beach 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk Info:
- 8:00 am start time 5/20
- Your Color is GREEN! That means green tape on the ground!
For safety reasons, we have moved this race completely off of the road and entirely in the park. Runners will start under the Fleet Feet arch and take few laps around the pathway. Each time you come through the arch, you will be handed a popsicle stick. Hold onto those as you run and once you’ve done your laps – you’re finished!
SPECTATORS: You will see your runner the entire time! It’s like a track meet but only 3 laps instead of 4.