Thank you so much for joining us at the 6th Annual Run Ocean Isle Beach certified road race! It’s just a few days away and as we get ready for Saturday 10/26, we’re covering a lot of the frequently asked questions regarding travel, parking, expo/packet pickup, race day plans, after party, etc.. plus lots of quick links to help you have a great race experience. But if you have any questions at all, you can respond to this email directly and we’ll do our best to respond promptly. Now who’s ready to earn that #BigAssMedal?
KNOW YOUR BIB NUMBER!
All bib numbers are emailed to participants. If for any reason you didn’t receive an email (or it was sent to junk/spam), you can click here to lookup your bib number.
ARRIVE EARLY ON RACE DAY!
We need to get roughly 2500 people onto a little island, parked & start the race by 7. So if you try to get on the island at 6:30 – chances are you will get stopped on the mainland side and miss the start of your race. We recommend to aim to be on the island by 6am even if you pick up your packet on Friday and are in the 5K.. PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY!! We will have the parking team out to assist you at 5am.
5K RUNNERS CAN NOW RUN THE 1 MILE TOO!
With the 5K starting at 7:15 and the 1 Mile not starting until 8:30, you can earn your awesome 5K medal, then jump in the 1 mile walk/run and earn the cute mermaid medal! We have limited space so hurry up and sign up online! It’s only $25 and 100% of the profits are donated to local non-profits in the community.
KNOW SOMEONE THAT’S MISSING OUT? TELL THEM TO REGISTER EARLY BEFORE IT SELLS OUT!
We still have a few spots left in the Half Marathon, 5K and 1 mile races. If you know someone that waits until the last minute to sign up, tell them to get online and register now. We will not be overselling our cap so we may not be taking registrations during packet pickup or race day. REGISTER HERE
Know some of those “non-runners” but awesome supporters? Get them out here to cheer you on and tell them they will have 10 times the fun if they make a sign! Walkers are welcome too, in fact our 1 Mile proceeds are handed directly over to support some great local non-profits in the area!
IMPORTANT BEER GARDEN INFO!
Each race and area that we run in is unique with restrictions and laws that we must carefully follow. Please help us follow these rules so that we can continue to have a fun family friendly event with a beer garden to follow it!
1) No ID = No Beer – You must bring your ID to the race. We don’t care if you’re over 40, over 50 or in the top age group – we ID everyone.
2) It’s a limit of 2 beers or ciders per runner. You will have tear-away tabs on your bib for this.
3) All alcohol must stay within the beer garden area! This will be held at Pelican’s Perch Restaurant parking lot – right next to the finish line.
*We’ll have Michelob Ultra, Landshark & Bold Rock Apple Cider to choose from!
4) There is a strict cut-off of 10:30am for serving beer. Please get your beer/cider before that.
PRE-RACE PACKET PICKUP INFORMATION (HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!)
This is border-line required. We will host a packet pickup on Friday October 25th from 2pm – 7pm at Brick Landing Clubhouse located HERE (1882 Goose Creek Rd SW, Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469). We are asking ALL packets to be picked up here on Friday night. If you can’t make it, it’s ok to pick up race day morning – but please come extra extra early!
FAQ: Is it ok to have a friend pickup your packet?
Yes, you may have a friend/family member pick up your packet. They must have your bib # look it up here and copy of your photo ID. This could be a picture or screenshot on their phone – or printed.
FAQ: What goes on at Packet Pickup?
You get your packet – bib, pins and tshirt. There are also several vendors setup for health, wellness, athletic performance and great local supporting businesses so bring some cash/card to do some fun shopping. Also, Coastal Race will have some GREAT special deals for future races!
*Packet Pick-up is over promptly at 7:00 Please don’t call and ask us to stay late! We start setting up at 2:00am and we have to be cleaned up and out of the packet pickup location by 8:00. Your Packet will be at the start line in the morning – no worries : )
RACE DAY INFORMATION
(1) The bridge will be limited to one lane for runners starting at 6:45 so ALL runners in the 5K or half marathon should be on the island to avoid traffic delays and missing the start.
(2) This is partially an open course so it’s important to stay to the side when not in coned sections.
PARKING: There are several places to park around the start/finish line. You will want to drive over the bridge and onto the island. Click here for directions or use (8 E. 2nd St. Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469) We will have a volunteer directing you to the Pier parking lot and large grass lots we’ve been given permission to use. Early birds get some really good parking spots!
(1) Arrive 45-60 minutes earlier for parking and warm-up.
(2) Bring your bib & pins!
(3) Cash for extra food, drinks, swag – especially spectators.
(4) Make an AWESOME sign! especially those non-runners!
(5) Bring pre-race hydration! We’ve got your need’s covered after the race with bottle water, banana’s, jugs of Gatorade, pizza and beer. But be sure to bring any pre race hydration or nutrition you may need.
5:30AM – RACE DAY PACKET PICKUP OPENS AT START/FINISH LINE
CLICK HERE for directions or use (8 E. 2nd St. Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469) for directions to the start/finish line.
7:00AM – HALF MARATHON STARTS
– 7 Water Stops with Gatorade and Water
– 3 Potty Breaks 🙂 (although there are lots of “unofficial” spots along the course)
7:15AM – 5K STARTS (But again, be sure to be over the bridge and on the island by 6:30am)
– 1 Water Stop with Gatorade and Water.
8:30AM – 1 MILE STARTS
– A Fun Walk/Run on the road – 100% of the money from this race go to the Turtle Patrol!
9:00AM – 1 MILE & 5K AWARDS
– Top 3 overall Male/Female, Top 3 Masters and every 5 year age groups
9:45AM – HALF MARATHON AWARDS
– Top 3 overall Male/Female and Every 5 Year Age Groups
10:30AM – RACE CUT-OFF TIME
– To ensure runner safety, as we pick up cones and police assistance is relieved, we will ask for runners still on the road to move to the sidewalk at this point. If you don’t want to leave the course at this point, that is fine but understand water stops and course support is pulled at this time.
*If you go to the website: http://runoib.com you will see a large course map and a printable PDF for all of the routes. We will also have a large 8′ map for you to look at during packet pickup and by the start line on race day.
1) Pre-hydrate and use all of our waterstops! Pre-hydration for a half marathon should also take place in the days before the event!
2) When running where it hasn’t been coned off, please run where signs and volunteers direct you, stay to the side of the road and be courteous of drivers and residents.
3) Follow your race arrows on ground, signs, overhead and the 100+ volunteers on course.
4) Find a pace group at the beginning to place yourself in the corral by speed even if you don’t plan to run with the pace group.
5) Don’t let headphones and music keep you from hearing runners and what’s around you. Be a conscious and courteous runner.
6) If you need to walk, please pull over to the side first so runners right behind you can easily get around without stopping.
SOCIAL MEDIA – WIN A FREE RACE ENTRY!
We do this every race and it’s a fun way to share pictures and have a chance to run for free! Use #RunOIB to share with your friends you’re running in this race. Take pictures of your practice runs, during the race and at the after party on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. We’ll be sharing your pics on our website and facebook page. Be sure to tag us or post to our page so that we see your pictures! 1 Lucky winner from the photos uploaded will win a FREE entry into any of our races – your choice! You can start sharing pictures NOW!
DON’T MISS THESE AMAZING BEACH RACES!
#1) Wilmington Historic Half Marathon & 5K – Downtown Wilmington, NC Click Here
#2) Calabash Turkey Trot – 10K, 5K, 1 Mile – Run ALL 3 for the “Ultimate Feast Challenge” Click Here
#3) Run Holden Beach is now in January! 1/19/19 Half, 5K and 1 Mile races Click Here
#4) FULL Marathon in Oak Island (A lighthouse, bridge and 13 scenic miles of beachfront running) Click Here
#5) Sign-up NOW for the 2020 BAM race series of half marathons and 5K’s! Click Here
See more info and register online at CoastalRaceProductions.com
Can I swap tshirt sizes? Yes, after the 5K starts on Saturday, based on availability.
Can I make a donation to the Turtle Patrol or other organizations? Yes, cash or check donation at packet pickup and race day or online here
When Are Awards? 1 Mile/5K awards will be around 9:00; Half Marathon awards will be around 9:45.
What Awards Are Recognized? Top 3 overall M/F, Masters and 5 year age groups.
Dogs Allowed? Sorry to say but due to USATF sanctioning, no dogs are allowed at the event.
Age Restrictions? No age restrictions, parental consent for all runners under 18 for any races are required.
Will I receive a medal? All runners will receive a medal, we will not oversell.
What’s the plan for inclement weather? Come ‘on, let’s not even mention it. But this is a rain or shine event.