Thank you so much for joining us at the Inaugural Wilmington Historic Half & 5K certified road races on 12/2! As we get ready for Sunday 12/2, we’re covering a lot of the frequently asked questions regarding travel, parking, expo/packet pickup, race day plans, after party, etc.. plus lots of quick links to help you have a great race experience. But if you have any questions at all, you can respond to this email directly and we’ll do our best to respond promptly.
CLICK HERE FOR YOUR BIB #
KNOW SOMEONE THAT’S MISSING OUT? TELL THEM TO REGISTER FOR THE 5K BEFORE IT SELLS OUT!
The Half Marathon is SOLD OUT, but we still have a few spots in the 5K. If you know someone that waits until the last minute to sign up, tell them to get online and register now. We will not be overselling our cap so we may not be taking registrations during packet pickup or race day. REGISTER HERE
Know some of those “non-runners” but awesome supporters? Get them out here to cheer you on and tell them they will have 10 times the fun if they make a sign!
RACEJOY ENABLED RACE!
FREE for runners and spectators to have the best race experience possible! (iPhone Download) (Google Play Download) or search “Race Joy” in your app store. Once you’ve downloaded the app, search “Run Historic Wilmington”. Enjoy verbal notifications throughout the course, friends will know exactly where you are at all times, send cheers and much more!
SNAPCHAT & USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO WIN A FREE RACE ENTRY!
At the expo and on race day, look for our snapchat filter while around The Shell and the after party area.
Enter to WIN A FREE RACE! We do this every race and it’s a fun way to share pictures and have a chance to run for free! Use #RunILM to share with your friends you’re running in this race. Take pictures of your training, during the race and at the after party on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. We’ll be sharing your pics on our website and facebook page. Be sure to tag us or post to our page so that we see your pictures! 1 Lucky winner from the photos uploaded will win a FREE entry into any of our races – your choice! You can start sharing pictures NOW!
IMPORTANT BEER GARDEN INFO!
Each race and area that we run in is unique with restrictions and laws that we must carefully follow. Please help us follow these rules so that we can continue to have a fun family friendly event with a beer garden to follow it!
1) No ID = No Beer – You must bring your ID to the race. We don’t care if you’re over 40, over 50 or in the top age group – we ID everyone.
2) It’s a limit of 1 beer ticket per runner. You will have tear-away tabs on your bib for this. You will be able to purchase additional beer for $3/each.
3) All alcohol must stay within the beer garden area!
BART YASSO’S SCHEDULE
About: You may know Bart Yasso as the “Mayor of Running” the now retired Runner’s World Chief Running Officer—the man who seemingly cheers on every runner across every finish line of every marathon. Join him in Wilmington as he will share lessons, wisdom, and insights learned from running in more than 1,500 races near and far. Experience firsthand not only how Yasso’s training tips and practical advice make us all better runners, but also how his infectious spirit and love of life make us all better people.
Adding to his induction into the Running USA Hall of Champions Yasso was recently inducted into the Road Runners Club of America Distance Running Hall of Fame.
Bart will be happy to autograph your bib or sign one of his books. If you’d like to connect with Bart you will have the opportunity to do so before and after his speaking times. You may also connect with him on Instagram and twitter. Bart Yasso will be cheering you on at the Wilmington Historic Half & 5K. Click here for his website.
Packet Pickup: Bart is our guest speaker for the weekend and will be talking at 3pm and 5pm during our expo. He’ll be sharing some of his best stories and signing his book so don’t miss it!
Race Day: Bart will also be kicking us off on race morning and congratulating you as you finish the race on Sunday.
PRE-RACE PACKET PICKUP INFORMATION (HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!)
We will host a packet pickup on Saturday December 1st from 2pm – 7pm at The Shell (downtown Wilmington) located HERE (10 Harnett St. Wilmington, NC 28401). We are asking ALL packets to be picked up here on Saturday night. If you can’t make it, it’s ok to pick up race day morning – but please come extra early!
FAQ: Is it ok to have a friend pickup your packet?
Yes, you may have a friend/family member pick up your packet. They must have your bib %BIB_NUMBER% and copy of your photo ID. This could be a picture or screenshot on their phone – or printed.
FAQ: What goes on at Packet Pickup?
You get your packet – bib, pins and tshirt. There are also several vendors setup for health, wellness and athletic performance so bring some cash/card to do some fun shopping. Also, Coastal Race will have some crazy special deals for future races!
*Packet Pick-up is over promptly at 7:00. If you can’t make it by 7pm, your packet will be at the start line in the morning.
FAQ: I chose to have my packet mailed, when should I receive it?
These were shipped on Friday 11/23 and should arrive to everyone by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. It includes your 1/4 zip and bib.
RACE DAY INFORMATION
PARKING: There are several places to park around the start/finish line and all over downtown. Click Here for available downtown parking. Click Here or use the address: 800 N. Front St. Wilmington, NC 28401 for our start line. Early birds get some really good parking spots!
*All meters on the street are free on Sundays but PLEASE DON’T PARK ON THE ROUTE DOWNTOWN!
(1) Arrive 45-60 minutes earlier for parking.
(2) Bring your bib & pins!
(3) Cash for extra food, drinks, swag – especially spectators.
(4) Make an AWESOME sign! Especially those non-runners!
(5) Bring pre-race hydration! We’ve got your need’s covered after the race with bottle water, banana’s, jugs of Gatorade, BBQ and beer. But be sure to bring any pre-race hydration or nutrition you may need.
5:30AM – RACE DAY PACKET PICKUP OPENS AT START LINE
Click Here or use the address: 800 N. Front St. Wilmington, NC 28401 for our start line.
7:00AM – HALF MARATHON & 5K START
– 6 Water/Gatorade stops in Half, 1 Water/Gatorade stop for the 5K
– 2 Potty Breaks 🙂
8:00AM – 5K AWARDS
– Top 3 overall Male/Female and Every 5 Year Age Groups
9:45AM – HALF MARATHON AWARDS
– Top 3 overall Male/Female and Every 5 Year Age Groups
10:30AM – RACE CUT-OFF TIME
– To ensure runner safety, as we pick up cones and police assistance is relieved, we will ask for runners still on the road to move to the sidewalk at this point. If you don’t want to leave the course at this point, that is fine but understand water stops and course support is pulled at this time.
*If you go to the website: http://wilmingtonhistorichalf.com you will see a large course map and a printable PDF for all of the routes. We will also have a large 8′ map for you to look at during packet pickup and by the start line on race day.
1) Pre-hydrate and use all of our waterstops! Pre-hydration for a half marathon should also take place in the days before the event!
2) When running where it hasn’t been coned off, please run where signs and volunteers direct you, stay to the side of the road and be courteous of drivers and residents.
3) Follow your race arrows on ground, signs, overhead and volunteers on course.
4) Find a pace group at the beginning to place yourself in the corral by speed even if you don’t plan to run with the pace group.
5) Don’t let headphones and music keep you from hearing runners and what’s around you. Be a conscious and courteous runner.
6) If you need to walk, please pull over to the side first so runners right behind you can easily get around without stopping.
DON’T MISS THESE AMAZING BEACH RACES!
#1) Run Holden Beach is now in January! 1/19/19 Half, 5K and 1 Mile races Click Here
#2) FULL Marathon in Oak Island (A lighthouse, bridge and 13 scenic miles of beachfront running) Click Here
#3) Sign-up NOW for the 2019 BAM race series of half marathons and 5K’s! Click Here
See more info and register online at CoastalRaceProductions.com
Can I swap tshirt sizes? Yes, in the after party area – based on availability.
Strollers Allowed? Strollers are allowed on all courses. Please be careful and watch your surroundings!
Dogs Allowed? Sorry to say but due to USATF sanctioning, no dogs are allowed at the event unless ADA compliant and paperwork filed click here
Age Restrictions? No age restrictions, parental consent for all runners under 18 for any races are required.
Will I receive a medal? All runners will receive a medal, we will not oversell.
What’s the plan for inclement weather? This is a rain or shine event.